DIY Deodorant

Recently, I've switched to making my own deodorant and cutting out store brought brands, even if they are natural. Traditional antiperspirant deodorants can contain parabens and aluminum, which have been debated for being linked to hormonal imbalance, breast cancer, and Alzheimer's. I've tried multiple natural deodorants, and I really don't think they work very well (the people around me would agree).  

Making your own deodorant is very simple!  This is not an antiperspirant.  So at first you will still sweat, but eventually you will notice that you will start to sweat less.

DIY DEODORANT
1/4 c baking soda
1/4 c arrowroot powder or cornstarch
4-6 T coconut oil
essential oils, optional

1. Combine the baking soda and cornstarch together. (I use arrowroot powder because it's less irritating to my skin than cornstarch.)

2.  Slowly incorporate the coconut oil with a spoon until the mixture is smooth but pliable.  During warmer months, it is better to use less coconut oil or add a little beeswax to keep the deodorant firm. Also, add in any essential oils if desired.  I typically use lavender and tea tree oil (which has antibacterial properties).  


3. Scoop the mixture into a jar or a used deodorant stick.  The deodorant will thicken and be easy to apply with your fingers or with the stick.  During summer months, just remember to use less coconut oil or store the deodorant in a cool place.


Comments

Popular Posts